1. Privacy Statement
Welcome - you are visiting a Canadian website (the “website”), administered by Bayer CropScience Inc. and its Canadian affiliate entities (“Bayer”). This website is intended for Canadian residents only and is subject to all applicable Canadian laws.
This Privacy Statement outlines how personal information about you is collected, used, disclosed and otherwise processed by Bayer with respect to your use and interaction with Bayer via this website as well as through other online activities involving Bayer products and services.
2. What is Personal Data?
Personal data is information about an identifiable individual. Personal data does not generally include business names and business contact information used in a commercial context.
3. Consent to Collection of Data
In cases when personal data is provided to others to provide you products or services you have requested, or for other purposes you have authorized, we rely on technical and organizational means to assure that applicable data security regulations are followed.
4. How does Bayer Collect Personal Data?
Generally, we only collect personal data when you provide it to us, through registration, the grower programs, completion of forms or e-mails, as part of an order for products or services, inquiries or requests about materials being ordered and similar situations in which you have chosen to provide the information to us. If you do not want your personal information collected, do not provide it to us.
5. What type of personal data does Bayer collect?
Examples of personal data we collect and use are:
- Contact information, such as full name, email address, telephone number and mailing address;
- Usernames and passwords;
- Business and professional information, such as title, practice, specialty, education, certification, accreditation, association;
- Demographic information including age, gender, images and videos;
- Consumer and professional preferences and comments, including with respect to Bayer services;
- Information submitted through Bayer call center;
- Information you provide when you contact us, provide feedback, make a complaint or other inquiry;
- Product and service related information concerning the products and services that we provide to, or receive from, you;
- Information about farmers’ farming practices;
- Credit and financial information such as your payment preferences; and
- Business relationship information, including information related to your agreements, preferences, advisors and decision-makers, feedback and information requested by or provided to you.
6. How do we use the data?
The data we collect will be used for the purpose of supplying you with the requested services or for other purposes for which you have given your consent, except where otherwise provided by law. For growers, retailers, agronomists, researchers, scientists and other business partners, the information we collect is primarily to continue and improve our client relationship with you. The information collected assists in maintaining our client relationship management databases. Other purposes may include:
- Creating and managing your user account;
- Providing our programs, research programs and events;
- Providing you with information related to Bayer products or services;
- Meeting our obligations required by applicable laws;
- Analyzing the accuracy and effectiveness of our website and services, including administering, troubleshooting and enhancing the website and services;
- Analyzing data, identifying trends and issues and creating statistical reports;
- Administering contests, promotions and surveys;
- Testing and analyzing our services for efficacy, safety and enhancements;
- Establishing and maintaining our business relationship with you;
- Responding to inquiries, complaints and other communications;
- Enabling the review of products and services that we provide to you so we may understand your requirements for our products and services and work to improve our products and services;
- Enabling the review of products and services we obtain from you so that we may work with you and you may understand our requirements for such products and services;
- Complying with your requests (for example, if you prefer to be contacted at a business or residential telephone number and advise us of your preference, we will use this information to contact you at that number);
- Protecting us against error, fraud, theft and damage to our goods and property;
- Enabling us to comply with applicable laws or regulatory processes;
- Protecting our rights under agreements and intellectual property; and
- Any other reasonable purpose to which you consent.
The data we collect may be used to contact you via e-mail or by regular mail for purposes identified above and other purposes for which you have provided us with consent. See “Your Options” to learn what choices you have.
7. Does Bayer share or disclose personal data?
Bayer may share and disclose personal and technical data in the following circumstances:
Bayer Network: Bayer is part of the Bayer Group - a global company. Bayer may transfer any information received to one or more of its affiliated companies in other countries and regions of the world. We do not sell or transfer the information you send to us to others outside of our company unless we have obtained your consent.
Service Providers: Like many businesses, Bayer uses third party service provides to assist in administering and providing the website and our services. Providers assist Bayer in data storage, website hosting, marketing, customer service, mailing, etc. Your personal data will not be passed by our service providers to and for use by third parties in any form whatsoever, unless we have obtained your consent or are legally required to do so.
Legal Requests and Obligations: Bayer may disclose personal data when required by law, such as to respond to court orders, subpoenas or other legal processes by authorities with jurisdiction.
Business Transfer: Bayer may transfer or assign your personal data as a result of, or in connection of a merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of assets, bankruptcy, reorganization, liquidation or other business transaction.
Further, your personal information may be disclosed:
- As permitted or required by applicable laws or regulatory requirements;
- To protect the rights and property of Bayer including intellectual property rights;
- During emergency situations or where necessary to protect the safety, health or security of a person or group;
- Where the personal information is publicly available; or
- With your consent.
8. Where is Data Stored?
The database in which data containing personal information associated with use of this website and the contents of such database remain within the Bayer Group or within data processors or servers acting on our behalf and responsible to the Bayer Group.
Some of this data may be stored or processed at computers located in other jurisdictions, such as the United States and Europe, whose data protection laws may differ from the jurisdiction in which you live. Subject to applicable laws in such other jurisdictions, we will ensure that appropriate protections are in place to require the data processor in that country to maintain protections on the data that are equivalent to those that apply in the country in which you live.
9. How long is Data Retained?
We only retain personal data for as long as is necessary for us to render a service you have requested or to which you have given your consent, except where otherwise provided by law (e.g. in connection with pending litigation).
- Essential cookies are necessary to enable you to move around our Site and use its features. Without these cookies, services you have asked for, like comparing items within the site, cannot be provided.
- Performance cookies collect information about how you use our Site such as, for example, device type, browser, language, region, pages visited, day and time as well as duration of visit, and pages viewed. Bayer uses third-party service providers, including Google Analytics, to analyze your use of our Site. You can find more information below on analytics, including your choices with respect to these cookies. We use the information collected through performance cookies to improve and personalize future web experiences and deliver content more relevant to your interests. We may also include a cookie on promotional offers/communications (email) to be able to measure performance and deliver more relevant offers/content based on preferences.
- Functional cookies allow the Site to remember choices you make (such as your username and ID, language preference, or the area or region you are in) and provide enhanced, more personal features as well as services you have asked for, such as watching a video or commenting on a blog. The information collected may be anonymized and is not used to track your browsing activities on other websites.
- Marketing cookies track browsing habits and are used to deliver targeted (interest-based) advertising. You can find more information below on advertising, including your choices with respect to these cookies.
Most browsers are set up to accept cookies automatically. You can deactivate the storing of cookies or adjust your browser to inform you before the cookie is stored on your computer. Because an industry-standard Do Not Track protocol is not yet established, Bayer’s information collection and disclosure practices and the choices it offers to consumers will continue to operate as described in this Privacy Statement regardless of a “do not track” choice made by the consumer.
Below is a classification of the non-essential cookies we leverage across Bayer and Bayer Global websites to collect and manage data. This could vary from website to website.
||Various data gathered from each page of website experience to measure and report.
||Bayer and 3rd Party
||Bayer websites are tagged with analytics cookies to collect information about how visitors use our websites and we leverage this information to make your experience more relevant based on your interest.
||First impression of Bayer Media to optimize display/video/mobile advertising.
||Bayer leverages third party cookies to collect information related to media and website engagement, and uses this information to deliver relevant ads on websites and third-party websites based on user interests and preferences.
||3rd Party Engagement Tools
||On specific pages of website experience to support the integration of engagement tools.
||To provide the user with a seamless user experience when engaging with tools like coupons, reviews, and exit surveys.
||Bayer Web Experience
||The first page of visit and across website experience to collect and manage preferences.
||To collect and save user preferences to be able to optimize user experience, including but not limited to any registration form complete and/or other preference-related selections.
||The first page that the user visits and any page where content is shared.
||Bayer and 3rd Party
||When visiting a Bayer website, we provide the capability that allows a visitor to share specific website pages and content via Facebook, Twitter, email and other means. This function uses a cookie to collect anonymous information when you visit and share our content.
Analytics and Marketing
We may also use personal data for analytics and marketing purposes, including analyzing your use of and activity on our websites. If you choose to create an account on our website, we may offer and you may elect to participate in certain analytics, communications, and marketing programs, including coupon or rebate programs and other special offers. If you opt in, we may collect such personal data from you as demographic, contact, and preference information from your account profile, as well as from your interactions on the website, such as through quiz responses or other interactive features. This information could include personal data such as name, address, email or other data that could be used to identify you as an individual. We may also enhance or merge this data with the cookie data we collect across websites or receive from third parties to create a more complete profile for a more customized user experience. This information would be stored in a secure database within the Bayer environment and would not be shared with any third party without your prior consent. You may control your preferences directly on your account and revoke consent to future participation in these analytics or marketing programs at any time.
While we do leverage the information we collect in aggregate to deliver more relevant advertisements and offers to you on other third-party websites as you navigate the Internet, we do not share your personal data with any third-party vendor or website owner for their own marketing purposes unless you have otherwise provided with your consent to do so.
Our website uses third-party service providers, including Google Analytics, a web analysis service of Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, United States (“Google”).
Bayer and our service providers will analyze your use of our websites on our behalf. To this purpose, we use, among others, the cookies described above. The information collected within the Google Analytics platform in connection with your use of our websites (e.g., the referring URL, which of our webpages you visit, your browser type, your language settings, your operating system, your screen resolution) will be transmitted to a server of Google in Canada, where it will be stored and analyzed by Bayer’s service providers; the respective results will then be made available to us. During this process, your usage data may be connected to you if you are logged in to your website account. If you are not logged in to a website account, however, your usage data will not be connected to your full IP address – we have activated on our website the IP anonymizing function offered by Google, so that the last 8 digits (type IPv4) or the last 80 bits (type IPv6) of your IP address are deleted.
You may withdraw your consent to the use of web analysis at any time either by downloading and installing a Browser Plugin offered by Google or by configuring your browser to delete and reject cookies. Both options will prevent the use of web analysis only if you use the browser on which you installed the plugin.
See Section 14 – Your Options to learn what other choices you have.
11. How is Data kept Secure?
The Bayer Group uses technical and organizational security precautions to protect your data from manipulation, loss, destruction or unauthorized access, use, disclosure or alteration. Third parties that process personal data on behalf of the Bayer Group are contractually obligated to safeguard data and only use the data provided to them for the purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement.
Our security procedures are continuously revised based on new technological developments.
In light of the importance of protecting children's privacy, we do not collect, process or use on our website any information relating to an individual whom we know to be under 13 years old without the prior, verifiable consent of his or her legal representative. Such legal representative has the right, upon request, to view the information provided by the child and/or to require that it be deleted.
Bayer does not intend this website for child audiences, and has no intention of collecting personally-identifiable information (such as name, address, telephone number) from children under 18 years old. If you discover that your child has provided us with personally identifiable information, we ask that a parent or guardian of the child contact us at AskUs@cropscience.bayer.ca to have this information deleted from our records.
13. What About Third Party Links?
14. Your Options
Access and Update Requests: You have the right to review and amend any personal data stored in our system. Just send your request in writing to: AskUs@cropscience.bayer.ca. When requesting access to your personal information, please note that we may request specific information from you to enable us to confirm your identity and right to access as well as to search for and provide you with the personal information that we hold about you.
Bayer will provide you with access to your personal data that is in our possession, subject to certain exceptions, including data that is referenced to another individual’s personal information that we cannot sever, or information subject to solicitor-client privilege, or other legal restrictions that may prevent us from fulfilling your access request.
Your right to access the personal information that we hold about you is not absolute. There are instances where applicable law or regulatory requirements allow or require us to refuse to provide some or all of the personal information that we hold about you. In addition, the personal information may have been destroyed, erased, or made anonymous in accordance with our record retention obligations and practices, as required or permitted by applicable law.
In the event that we cannot provide you with access to your personal information, we will endeavour to inform you of the reasons why, subject to any legal or regulatory restrictions.
Interest based Advertising: If you no longer wish to participate in the services offered through these solutions, you can opt-out of this activity by visiting the:
If you opt-out, please note you may still receive ads from Bayer but they are not part of targeted advertising.
Opt-out of promotional communications: In the event you wish to unsubscribe from receiving promotional communications from Bayer, you may opt-out by:
If you opt-out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, such as notifications regarding our business relationship with you, important notices regarding our Services, or as otherwise consistent with applicable law.
Right of Cancellation: You have the right at any time to withdraw your consent to the use of your personal data in the future. Again, just send an e-mail to the address given in the imprint or contact the Privacy Officer or the Data Security Officer at the information below.
15. Contact Us
If you wish to know what information we have in our files about you, ask a question about the information in your file or request a change to the information in your file, please contact:
2920 Matheson Blvd E
Mississauga ON, Canada L4W 5R6
16. Head of Data Privacy
Phone: +49 (0) 30 468 16924
Bayer may change certain parts to this Privacy Statement from time to time, so be sure to check this Privacy Statement regularly. Any changes to this Privacy Statement will be communicated promptly on this page. Please contact the website administrator with any problems, questions or suggestions that you may have. The constant development of the internet requires occasional adjustments to our privacy statement. We retain the right to make changes when necessary.
18. Interpretation of this Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement includes examples but is not intended to be restricted in its application to such examples, therefore where the word 'including' is used, it shall mean 'including without limitation'.
This Privacy Statement does not create or confer upon any individual any rights, or impose upon Bayer any rights or obligations outside of, or in addition to, any rights or obligations imposed by Canada's federal and provincial privacy laws, as applicable. Should there be, in a specific case, any inconsistency between this Privacy Statement and Canada's federal and provincial privacy laws, as applicable, this Privacy Statement shall be interpreted, in respect of that case, to give effect to, and comply with, such privacy laws.
Last updated: June 3, 2019