Even though Velum Prime provides fungicide benefits, a contact/protectant fungicide program should still be used. When pressure is high and to delay the development of resistance a locally systemic, non-Group 7 product such as Scala fungicide should also be applied.
Do not apply more than the maximum seasonal rate for each specific crop from any combination of products containing fluopyram. Do not apply more than 500 g fluopyram/ha per year, regardless of formulation or method of application (soil or foliar).
Any nematode or fungal population may contain individuals naturally resistant to Velum Prime and other Group 7 nematicides/fungicides. A gradual or total loss of nematode control may occur over time if this product is used repeatedly in the same field. Other resistance mechanisms that are not linked to site of action, but specific for individual chemicals, such as enhanced metabolism, may also exist. Appropriate resistance-management strategies should be followed. To delay nematicide/fungicide resistance:
- Where possible, rotate the use of Velum Prime or other Group 7 nematicides/fungicides with different Groups that control the same pests
- Use tank mixtures with nematicides/fungicides from a different group when such use is permitted
- When Velum Prime is applied as a soil application use another mode of action for the first foliar fungicide application
- Avoid consecutive applications of Velum Prime or other Group 7 nematicides/fungicides in a season. Alternate applications with fungicides having a different mode of action
- Nematicide/fungicide use should be based on an integrated disease management program that includes scouting, historical information related to pesticide use and crop rotation and considers host plant resistance, impact of environmental conditions on disease development, disease thresholds, as well as cultural, biological and other chemical control practices
- Early blight pressure should be monitored throughout the growing season. Heavy disease pressure may require additional systemic foliar fungicide applications
- Monitor treated nematode populations for resistance development
- Contact your local extension specialist or certified crop advisors for any additional pesticide resistance-management and/or IPM recommendations for the specific site and pest problems in your area